Senior Tennis Section
Senior Tennis Committee 2019/2020
Honorary Secretary: Elmagh Killeen Treasurer: Donal Quill
Ladies’ Captain: Mary Reynolds Vice-Captain (Ladies): Sarah Cahill
Men’s Captain: Karl O’Connor Vice-Captain (Men): Shane Horrigan
Junior Liaison: Valerie O’Brien
Child Protection Officers: Robert Heron & Ailbhe Heron
Social Committee: Sinead Cronin, Emily Conway & Catherine Horrigan
Social Secretary: Catherine Horrigan
Grounds and Facilities Manager: Bob Reynolds
Tennis Section AGM 2019 – Minutes 2019 MINUTES (ver.3)
ABOUT THE TENNIS SECTION
The Tennis Section at Blackrock Bowling and Tennis Club has 4 all-weather floodlit courts. There are three active playing parts – Mens, Ladies and Juniors. Each section is involved in encouraging all levels of play from league competition to social. The Club takes part in the DLTC leagues in both Summer and Winter, as well as local competitions. All members welcome to Social Tennis. This is a great way to get to know members. Please check the CALENDAR & NEWS/EVENTS (at the top of the screen) for days and times of the Ladies & Men’s Social Tennis sessions and also see below for more details.
Interested in joining? Please see ABOUT THE CLUB for membership information & to download an Application form.
Click here to check the DLTC website
Blackrock Tennis Club has a great deal to offer anyone who enjoys the game of tennis, whether for health and fitness or serious competition.
Ladies Social Tennis
- Ladies Morning Social Tennis takes place on Thursdays, starting at 10am during school-term time. This is a casual social event suitable for both beginners and experienced players. Typically, we play doubles, but no partner required, just turn up with your racket, tennis balls and play. It is an opportunity to meet other members and get some match practice. Then we retire to Lazy Days Café for coffee and chat afterwards.
- Ladies Evening Social Tennis is run all year on Wednesdays from 8pm to 10pm. The format is similar to the Ladies Morning Social Tennis and is suitable for all standards. We swop partners approximately every 30 minutes. It is also an opportunity to meet other members and arrange more games during the week.
- Ladies Team Tennis – An annual Ladies Team Tennis event is run during the 4 to 5 weeks prior to Easter. This event takes place on Wednesday evenings between 7pm and 10pm. We are usually oversubscribed but if you are not named on a team, there are always plenty of opportunities to substitute for a team member who is absent that evening. A prize-giving takes place in the Club bar on the final night, which will give you an opportunity to socialise with your team and get to know other members.
- Ladies Tennis Hospice Coffee Morning – Each year on Irish Hospice Foundation Day, the Club runs a Ladies Tennis Hospice Coffee Morning. This is a social event run for a good cause and involves a mixture of tennis, coffee and cakes.
League: Ladies Fixtures & Events
- Dublin Lawn Tennis Council (“DLTC”) Leagues – The Club enters teams in the DLTC Winter, Summer and Senior Leagues from Class 3 to Class 7. DLTC publishes the league schedule, fixtures and results on their website: http://www.dltc.net.
- Winter League – The Winter League is played from late January to March on Sunday afternoons. Teams consist of 3 pairs of doubles pairings.
- Summer League – The Summer League is held in May/June on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday evenings. Teams consist of seven players: three singles and two doubles pairings.
- Senior League – The Senior League is held in September/October on Sunday afternoons and the Club typically enters the Over-35s section. Teams consist of three doubles pairings.
- Charity League – Teams are entered in all sections of the Charity League, which is played on Monday and Tuesday mornings over a five week period in the spring and autumn. Matches start at 10am. There are sections for beginners (Tuesday non-league), improvers (Monday non-league) and advanced players (Monday and Tuesday league). This is a very popular competition with our members, competitive tennis is played and coffee and cakes are enjoyed afterwards. Teams consist of three doubles pairings and all proceeds from this event go to a charity nominated by the winning team.
- 5 Mile League – This is a local competition between clubs located within a five-mile radius of each other. It takes place once a year in May/June. Matches are played on Sunday evenings in May, starting at 7pm. It is a great entry-level league for those ready to take their first steps representing the Club in competitive tennis.
- Senior Club Championships – The Senior Club Championship is run over 2 weeks every year in mid-September. There are Mens, Ladies and Mixed singles and doubles events. It ends with the ‘At Home’ dinner and prize-giving on finals night. This event is the highlight of our social calendar every year. We encourage all members to participate. Matches are played on weekday evenings from 7pm until 10pm and all day Saturday and Sunday, excluding times when courts are needed for home matches for DLTC Senior and Junior Leagues. The tournament can be viewed on the Tennis Ireland Tournament Software website.
Blackrock has a very active men’s tennis membership that includes both league and social players. All members over the age of 14 are eligible to play in DLTC men’s leagues and we would encourage our promising juniors to get involved with the men’s league training panels and teams.
Dublin Tennis Leagues
- Winter League: Starts at the end of January and runs for 5 consecutive weeks followed by playoffs. BBTC enter 4 teams in Classes 2,3,5 & 7. Teams consist of 3 doubles pairs and matches are played at either 9.30am or 11.00am on Sunday mornings.
- Summer League: Starts in early-May and runs for 5 weeks with a break for the June bank holiday followed by playoffs. BBTC enter 4 teams in classes 2,3,5 & 7. Teams consist of 3 singles players and 2 doubles pairs and matches are played on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons.
- Senior League: Starts at end of August and runs for 5 consecutive week followed by playoffs. BBTC usually enter 2 teams in the Over 35 age group in Class 2 and 3. Team consists of 6 players playing in the 3 doubles pairs and matches are played on Sunday mornings.
- Floodlight League: Starts in September and runs through to mid-November. BBTC usually have 2 teams entered in Classes 2 and 3. Team consists of 4 players. Matches are made up of 2 singles and 1 doubles, names are drawn on the night of match. Matches are played on Monday evenings.
League Training: There is training every Tuesday evening for league players from 7.00pm to 8.15pm.
For information regarding playing league or social tennis contact the . Note that all players must be register with DLTC via this link.
The club also enters a number of non-DLTC leagues during the year. The Easter Cup runs from March to April and is primarily is a competition for non-league players. There are also some internal Leagues organised during the year which are open to all players.
In addition, there are a number of men’s social tennis sessions each week when courts are pre-booked and members can just turn up to play: Tuesdays 8.00pm -10.pm and Fridays 9.00am -10.00am
Mixed Social Team Tennis
A Mixed Social Team Tennis event takes place every year (Oct/Nov). All levels are encouraged to play and the team members are graded accordingly. The event usually takes place on Friday evenings from 7pm to 10pm. A social evening, including prize-giving, takes place on the final evening in the Club bar.
Summer BBQ and Mixed League Doubles Tournament
The Summer BBQ and Mixed Doubles Tournament is a social event run during the summer months. It takes place on a week-end evening and is a mixed-doubles American-style tournament.
Mince Pie and Mixed Doubles Charity Event
The Mince Pie and Mixed Doubles Charity Event is run on a Friday morning in early December. We ask members to contribute to a specified charity each year.
Dublin Lawn Tennis Council (“DLTC”) Leagues
The Club enters teams in class 2 and 3 in the DLTC Mixed League, which takes place in July/August each year on Friday evenings, starting at 7pm. DLTC publishes the league schedule, fixtures and results on their website: http://www.dltc.net.